52 Great Prayers for 2019 | Week 2
WEEK 2 | PRAY WITH PURPOSE
Paul’s prayer for the early Christians in Colossae is a tremendous reminder of how to pray for our family, and, in particular, our children and grandchildren. Take a look at Colossians 1:9-14.
Paul starts by saying, “For this reason, since the day we heard about you, we have not stopped praying for you and asking God to fill you with the knowledge of his will through all spiritual wisdom and understanding.” His love and passion for these early believers is palpable and it should inspire us to pray with similar passion for those near and dear to us. His commitment to not stop praying for them and to pray that they be filled with and follow God’s Will should be equaled by our passion to pray for our families — our spouse, our children, our grandchildren, etc.
When I read Colossians 1:10-14 I am inspired to pray with purpose like Paul. When my boys were growing up I would pray over them similarly to what Paul lists here. Now that they are grown, I want to be faithful to continue to pray for them and for the further advancement of God’s work in their lives. On top of that, I now get to start praying these prayers all over again as I am about ready to welcome my very first grandchild (grandson) into this world!! I want to be faithful to pray for my grandson everyday using Paul’s “checklist.”
Paul’s Prayer Checklist:
- Pray they live a life worthy of the Lord.
- Pray they live their life to please Him in every way.
- Pray their life becomes fruitful and full of good and godly works.
- Pray they grow in the knowledge of God.
- Pray they are strengthened in His power.
- Pray they experience great endurance and that they persevere through challenges.
- Pray they grow in patience, trusting God in all things.
- Pray they experience the joy of the Lord and keep encouraged.
- Pray they live life with gratitude and thankfulness for all God has done.
- Pray they live life to gain Heaven.
Paul gives us insight on how to pray for our families. Join me in praying this great prayer throughout 2019.