Make the Commitment: 60 Days of Spiritual Growth
Life can grind us down and spit us out. Our best intentions and deepest hopes can be squashed by the daily grind of work, responsibility, bills, chores, needs of others, and all the other things that bombard us each and every day — many of which are really important, by the way. How do we RISE ABOVE the daily grind and live the life we want to live? Live the life we are called to live? Live out our faith in a way that pleases God, others, and us?
In order to Rise Above the daily grind we must take the initiative to live above the fray a bit. That doesn’t mean that the whirlwind of life won’t hit us, but that we choose to respond by living at a different level — and with a different mindset. We choose to live our life each day committed to Christ. Our aim? To honor Him in all that we do!
In the book of Philippians, Paul gives us 9 KEYS to RISE ABOVE the daily grind and live up to God’s ideals for our lives. These 9 keys serve as faith levers that can lift us up and help us live a life focused on serving God and others. By practicing these 9 Keys, and with God’s help, we can become the people, parents, spouses, friends, students, and followers that Christ intends for us to be.
To kick off the 60 days of spiritual growth, here’s a prayer to pray and 12 commitments to consider making as we begin the journey.
Prayer to Pray:
Jesus, I do want to become what you want me to be. I do not want to allow the responsibilities and adversities of life to grind me down to where I miss your plan for me. Instead, I want to rise above it all in your strength. I want to rise above and live the life you have for me. I want you to be my priority and you to be my focus. I put you first today…and every day. I am your servant. I live for an audience of One. May I please you with who I am becoming. May what I think, say, believe, and do please you. I love you because you first loved me. I humbly commit myself to you today and I commit over these next 60 days to grow and mature in my faith and followership of my Savior, Jesus Christ. Amen.
12 Commitments to make for the next 60 days:
- PRAY: Each day.
- Mark 1:35
- Luke 18:1
- FAST: Each week.
- Matthew 6:16-18
- Acts 14:23
- Nehemiah 1:4
- BIBLE READING: Each day.
- Psalm 119:105
- Psalm 19:7-11
- 2 Timothy 3:16,17
- MEMORIZE: A verse each week.
- Psalm 119:9,11
- SERVE: Each week, both in and out of your church.
- 1 Peter 4:10
- GROUP: Join, lead, and belong to a LifeGroup.
- Acts 2:46
- Acts 5:42
- BAPTISM: Sign up to be baptized.
- Acts 2:38
- GATHER: Each week to attend a celebration service.
- Hebrews 10:25
- SHARE: Tell your faith story and invite someone to church.
- Mark 5:19
- GIVE GENEROUSLY: Time, treasures, talents, testimony, and a 60-Day-Gift.
- 2 Corinthians 8:1-7
- 2 Corinthians 9:6-11
- CHOOSE HOLINESS: Decide each day whom you will serve.
- Daniel 1:8
- Matthew 6:9-13
- Joshua 24:15
- Psalm 19:14
- FISCAL & PHYSICAL FITNESS: Exercise, eat right, and master your money.
- Proverbs 3:9,10
- Proverbs 6:6-8
- 1 Corinthians 6:19,20
Paul and his companions in Acts 16:1-40 show us what it means to be committed. Spiritual growth and spiritual commitment always include these 5 characteristics:
- Commitment always requires that we go somewhere new (in your marriage, exercise, group, baptism).
- Commitment always requires that we share and serve others.
- Commitment always places the focus on who we are and who we are becoming, more than what we do.
- Commitment always includes sacrifice; anything of value comes with a cost.
- Commitment always means we re-evaluate our priorities and value what’s most important.
As we begin this series and move into 60 days of spiritual growth, I challenge you to pray the prayer and choose to engage/commit to grow spiritually over the course of this series. I’m looking forward with great expectation to our journey together!