PRINCIPLE 44 | PRAY FOR OUR NATION, PRESIDENT, & ALL LEADERS OF GOVERNMENT
Presidents come and presidents go but our prayer for them must be constant. Last week, Joe Biden became president-elect of the United States. As Christians, I want you to begin to pray for him earnestly as he’ll need it. Being president is a deeply challenging job in a deeply conflicted day and in our deeply conflicted nation. Maybe you voted for Biden and you are very happy. Maybe you voted for Trump and you are deeply disappointed. The truth remains, regardless of who you voted for, we all need to pray for our president. To be honest, for some Christians it is hard to pray for someone they didn’t vote for. We all need to remember prayer is not political. Prayer is biblical. We must pray for the president regardless of political party. Why? Because we have been called to pray, and because prayer moves the hand of God. Period. And while we are at it, we need to pray for Congress, and state and local leaders as well.
Here’s what the Bible says: I Timothy 2:1 “I urge, then, first of all, that petitions, prayers, intercession, and thanksgiving be made for all people — for kings and all those in authority, that we may live peaceful and quiet lives in all godliness and holiness.”
When you pray for our president may I encourage you to include these prayers:
- Pray for his relationship with God and for him to have the mind and heart of God.
- Pray for internal peace and the ability to build peace.
- Pray for the skills and abilities to unite people and build bridges so people can flourish and not fight.
- Pray for health, strength, wisdom, encouragement, and faith.
- Pray for his family.
- Pray for compassion and empathy to flow from him and to him.
- Pray for God’s will to be done on Earth as it is in Heaven.
- Pray for strong ethical leadership of high character, complete honesty, and deep love.
In addition, let me encourage you to pray these 15 scriptures over our president. I’d encourage you to extend these prayers to all federal, state, and local officials as well.
15 SCRIPTURES TO PRAY FOR OUR PRESIDENT
- 2 Chronicles 7:14 — If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land.
- Proverbs 21:1-3 — In the Lord’s hand the king’s heart is a stream of water that he channels toward all who please him. A person may think their own ways are right, but the Lord weighs the heart. To do what is right and just is more acceptable to the Lord than sacrifice.
- Titus 3:1-2 — Remind the people to be subject to rulers and authorities, to be obedient, to be ready to do whatever is good, to slander no one, to be peaceable and considerate, and always to be gentle toward everyone.
- Ps 22:28 — For dominion belongs to the Lord and he rules over the nations.
- Daniel 9:18-19 — Give ear, our God, and hear; open your eyes and see the desolation of the city that bears your Name. We do not make requests of you because we are righteous, but because of your great mercy. Lord, listen! Lord, forgive! Lord, hear and act! For your sake, my God, do not delay, because your city and your people bear your Name!
- Jeremiah 17:7-8 — But blessed is the one who trusts in the Lord, whose confidence is in him.
- Psalm 2:10-12 — Therefore, you kings, be wise; be warned, you rulers of the earth. Serve the Lord with fear and celebrate his rule with trembling…blessed are all who take refuge in him.
- James 4:7-10 — …Come near to God and he will come near to you…
- Nehemiah 1:5-7 — Lord, the God of heaven, the great and awesome God, who keeps his covenant of love with those who love him and keep his commandments, let your ear be attentive and your eyes open to hear the prayer your servant is praying before you day and night for your servants…
- Galatians 6:9 — Let us not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time we will reap a harvest if we do not give up.
- Isaiah 41:10 — So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand.
- Philippians 2:3 — Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit. Rather, in humility value others above yourselves.
- Philippians 2:4 — Do not look to your own interests but each of you to the interests of others.
- Philippians 4:13 — I can do all this through him who gives me strength.
- Proverbs 27:23 — Be sure you know the condition of your flocks, give careful attention to your herds…
Remember, prayer moves the hand of God. Prayer changes things. We are commanded to pray. God is counting on us to pray. Let’s pray — each day.