Proverbs 3:13-15 says, “Blessed is the man who finds wisdom, the man who gains understanding, for she [wisdom] is more profitable than silver and yields better returns than gold. She is more precious than rubies; nothing you desire can compare with her.”
Every business person is looking for the greatest ROI – Return on Investment – as they build a profitable company. When it comes to life, Proverbs tells us that there is no greater return than to pursue, invest in and build upon… WISDOM.
In chapter three, and so many other places in Proverbs, we are encouraged time and time again to “go all-in” on wisdom. Wisdom is more profitable than the most precious jewels, more precious than gold and silver; in fact, nothing else compares.
Wisdom is to be pursued at all costs. “Being wise in our own eyes” (Proverbs 3:7) is the opposite of true godly wisdom (“fear the Lord and shun evil”). True wisdom is godly wisdom. Great return comes to the person who pursues and finds and goes all-in on living the God-life. And of course, God’s Word is God’s Wisdom. And so it all comes back to this, how well am I following God’s Word by living out God’s wisdom?
God’s plan for you is to be wise in His eyes, not your own eyes. To find His understanding and not lean on your own understanding. So we must ask ourselves, literally, what would Jesus do? How would Jesus relate? What would Jesus think? Practically, there are several steps we can take to grow in wisdom. Here are a few:
- COMMIT > Commit our lives to God and to living out His Word. This is wisdom.
- READ > Regularly read, meditate upon, and apply God’s Word – daily, in fact. Where are we off track and need to change course?
- OBEY > Be obedient to God’s Word. This too is wise. Our love and devotion to Christ is shown by willful obedience. Being wise in God’s eyes is being obedient to God’s Word.
- PRAY > Wisdom is simple, but not simplistic. It is easy to understand that God’s Wisdom is found in God’s Word, but it is very difficult to discipline ourselves to be wise and godly. We need to pray for God’s Spirit to help change our heart, bend our behavior, and influence our motivations.
- TRUST > Trust God and see His Word as the source of truth for our lives and the blueprint for how we live life.
Read that again – slowly – and let it sink in. God wants us to be wise! Wisdom is the only way to maximize our ROI in life. Remember, God’s Word = God’s Will = God’s Wisdom! Pursue wisdom with all you have.
Proverbs 3:13-15: “Blessed is the man who finds wisdom, the man who gains understanding, for she is more profitable than silver and yields better returns than gold. She is more precious than rubies; nothing you desire can compare with her.”