My Prayer for You
Ephesians 3:14-21 | For this reason I kneel before the Father, from whom every family in heaven and on earth derives its name. I pray that out of his glorious riches he may strengthen you with power through his Spirit in your inner being, so that Christ may dwell in your hearts through faith. And I pray that you, being rooted and established in love, may have power, together with all the Lord’s holy people, to grasp how wide and long and high and deep is the love of Christ, and to know this love that surpasses knowledge—that you may be filled to the measure of all the fullness of God. Now to him who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine, according to his power that is at work within us, to him be glory in the church and in Christ Jesus throughout all generations, for ever and ever! Amen.
My prayer for you is really Paul’s prayer for the church in Ephesus. Moreover, Ephesians 3:14-21 is a model prayer that we would do well to pray for each other. In my prayer, there are five things that I pray you fully realize and understand:
1. INNER STRENGTH. Paul prayed 3:16 — I pray that out of his glorious riches he may strengthen you with power through his Spirit in your inner being…
The idea here for “strength” is the opposite of being discouraged. Paul is praying that their inner person is being renewed and I pray this for you. Life is hard and our mind, emotions and inner person can become down and discouraged. Paul is praying for inner strength, that they stay encouraged and hopeful. Paul prays for them and us that they and we would rely on the strength available in Christ to be built up from the inside out.
2. ABIDING PRESENCE. Paul prayed 3:17a — so that Christ may dwell in your hearts through faith…
“That Christ may dwell” is the idea of Christ taking up residency in your heart. The picture is for to Jesus move in and become more and more a part of the home of your heart and life. Paul prays for them and us, and I pray for you, that we know clearly and completely that Jesus is with us, He is for us, and He is in us. I pray that you realize that you can call on Him any time and all the time. Remind yourself: He is with me, beside me, and even will carry me when I need Him most.
3. UNQUENCHABLE LOVE. Paul prayed 3:17b-19a — And I pray that you, being rooted and established in love, may have power, together with all the Lord’s holy people, to grasp how wide and long and high and deep is the love of Christ, and to know this love that surpasses knowledge…
Being rooted and established are the results of a life built on Christs love. Paul wants us to grasp His love and know it is greater than you can know, goes farther than you can realize and it is forever. There is nothing you can do to quench His love for you. You are never unloved and you never don’t matter. You are valued, esteemed, loved, and treasured. Know it, grasp it and comprehend. He loves you more than you will ever know.
4. DIVINE PURPOSE. Paul prayed 3:19b — that you may be filled to the measure of all the fullness of God.
Fullness is the state of being filled to capacity. It is the idea of brimming with godliness. Overflowing with Christlikeness. Being like Him and growing more and more into the image of Christ. May we realize that God’s design for us all to be like Jesus. To think, serve, live, relate, and give like Jesus.
5. ABSOLUTE ASSURANCE. Paul prayed 3:21-21 — Now to him who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine, according to his power that is at work within us, to him be glory in the church and in Christ Jesus throughout all generations, for ever and ever! Amen.
Never forget His power and never forget that His power is available to you which is a power without limits. This 5th prayer that I pray for you is one of the most powerful verses in the Bible to me. We need to live each day in the realization and in relationship with the Almighty where we know that we know that we know—that His capacity exceeds my needs. He is not only able to do exceedingly more than what I ask for and need, but He is able to do immeasurably more than what I could ever imagine. I pray for you, I pray for my family, I pray for me, I pray for our church, I pray for our pastors and staff, I pray for our missionaries…that we know, with absolute assurance, that the God of the Bible is the Almighty God who is all present, all powerful, and all knowing. The implications of this realization in my life is that my faith will skyrocket. There is nothing ever too hard, too big, too complicated, too messy, or too overwhelming in any way for my God.
May we realize, comprehend and experience all five of these crucial qualities for living a life of great faith:
- When I feel discouraged Remember Inner Strength.
- When I feel alone Remember Abiding Presence.
- When I feel unloved Remember Unquenchable Love.
- When I feel aimless Remember Divine Purpose.
- When I feel self-doubt Remember Absolute Assurance.